Our Adventures With Retired Racing Greyhounds, Truly, Maggie and Walker



Saturday, January 2, 2010

The Saga Continues

July 22, 2006
So we were at the adoption kennel playing with and talking to Racine Rampage.  Another couple, also potential adopters, were there at the time.  They had several hounds gathered around them.  As we were interacting with Racine, I noticed that she had great interest in the other couple.  I looked over toward them and my eyes were immediately drawn to a very large, brindle male.  He was in the jumble of hounds, happily wagging his tail, acting genuinely goofy - and staring directly at me.  I thought he was cute, but awfully big.
I went on with getting acquainted with Racine.  She was a great hound, but I just could not make that "connection" I'd made in the past with my other dogs.  I attributed this to the stress of the day.
The SEGA volunteer came over and asked if we wanted to meet another hound because the other couple wanted to meet Racine.  I glanced at the couple.  What the heck was that big brindle male doing?  Still staring at me!  I told the volunteer that the others could "meet" Racine, but they couldn't have her.  Off she went with Racine. 
I asked to meet that big, goofy boy - VE's First Choice.  Of course, there was no way I was going to take him home, but I could at least pay attention to him while Racine was away.  He was way too big, not at all like my petite, little Racine.  Besides, we came for a girl, not a boy.
Over comes First Choice.  He was so happy!  We each took him for walks around the kennel.  We spoke to him.  He interacted well with us.  He looked at me with these huge brown eyes and the "connection" was made.  What did the volunteer say when we arrived at the kennel about the greyhound choosing the people, not the people choosing the greyhound?  Well, she was absolutely right!  And, as they say, the rest is history.
We let the SEGA volunteer know that VE's First Choice had chosen us.  It was kind of sad, though, because we came for Racine.  She deserved a forever home, too.  Not to worry.  Racine had "chosen"  the other couple. Both hounds found their homes that day.
Three year-old VE's First Choice (nka Truly) finds his Forever Home, July 22, 2006.

Next, Yes - his name is Truly.

No comments:

Post a Comment